Friday, February 11, 2011

Day Two: Avoiding the Slurpy Salad Dressing Fiasco




This morning, I logged my meals into the Nutrisystem online meal planner to see how many calories I’d eaten yesterday. This diet is not put together based on an individual’s weight. There’s one system for men (they get an extra dessert) and one for women. Everyone eats the same types of items each day except for diabetics and those who must lose 100 pounds or more.

I fit into neither category.

So after logging my food, I discovered that I had eaten a total of 1,386.2 calories yesterday – no wonder I felt like passing out by 4 p.m.! How could I even exercise with that many calories? I guess that’s why Nutrisystem doesn’t require exercise. I need 2,180 calories to maintain my weight. I should think I'd lose a lot the first week without even working out!

Under the FAQ on the company’s website, there is information about hunger and how the plan is “specifically designed to eliminate hunger in several ways.” It explains how, and then it says, “As a result, you can focus on your progress instead of worrying about hunger pangs.”

HA! Not so.

One nice thing about Nutrisystem is that I don’t have to count fat grams or calories. However, Weight Watchers tells you how much to eat based on how much you weigh, your sex, your height, and a few other factors. Husband said last night, “This is the starve yourself diet plan.”

At home, I’ve separated my food from Husband’s food. I have his lunches in a cabinet (pictured above) and his breakfasts in the pantry (pictured below). On the dining room table, there’s a box that contains his dinners and his snacks/desserts. Tonight, we should be getting the frozen foods delivered to our door. I’m SO excited to get those because I am hoping there’s something filling in the order. We’ll see.

My food is still in the packing boxes because I have not figured out where to put my food yet. The menu you select your meals from is all the same for men and women. However, men get to pick more desserts/snacks because they get a morning and an afternoon treat. I have to keep our food separate because what Husband picked out is not at all appealing to me (like chicken noodle soup and beef stew). Ew!

But back to the hunger I’m not supposed to be worrying about …

10:05 a.m. Status update – Not starving yet like I was yesterday. Maybe it is because I had more milk today than yesterday? That added 40 more calories to my breakfast. 

11:41 a.m. Status update – I’m eating the Nutrisystem cheese tortellini for lunch, and it tastes fantastic. The tomato sauce has a sweet tangy taste to it, and the cheese tortellini tastes like real food. I’d rather have more tortellini pieces than so much sauce though. I also have a full plate of green beans and a nonfat yogurt that aren’t provided by Nutrisystem.

1:24 p.m. Status update – Feeling a bit faint. I have finished drinking 24 oz. of water. 

1:28 p.m. Status update – Not time for a snack yet. Must stop checking the clock!

2:16 p.m. Status update – Have a headache, and I’m actually hungry, so I am going to go get my apple and yogurt to eat.

3:27 p.m. Status update – Just finished my yogurt. I tried to space out the time between each bite.

One goal Nutrisystem gives its newbies is to track everything eaten, follow the plan, and check off items in our meal books when we eat or drink them. Already, the meal book is helping. I’m trying to pay attention to which meals from Nutrisystem keep me full for a long time. Yesterday’s lunch was not successful, but today I am doing MUCH better.

4:10 p.m. Status update – Still have a headache, but it's not pounding at least. I am wondering if I should eat the dessert in my bag. It’s chocolate cake. I won’t be able to eat dinner until about 6 p.m. so I might. Must hold out! Maybe another sugar free lemon drop will help. Fingers crossed!

2 comments: