Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day Eight: Weigh-in Day

My first frozen meal: Turkey Pepperoni Pizza.

It’s Finally Thursday, one week from when we started the diet. We decided that we’d weigh-in first thing in the morning. With the little amount of food we’ve been eating, it feels like we should’ve lost several pounds. Husband lost 4.5 pounds, while I lost 3.5 pounds. This makes sense since men tend to lose weight faster than women. Without exercising, we did fairly well. Now, it’s time to start the second week.

10:59 a.m. Status update – I received an e-mail that our frozen food has been delivered and left on our front porch. Husband and I worry about the ice cream melting since we do not know what kind of ice packs are in the box, and we do not know if it is in an insulated box or not. So I take a late lunch break and go home to find out.

1:51 p.m. Status update – I arrive home and find the boxes stacked by the front door. I am relieved because as I pull up to the house, I notice the food is packed inside two Styrofoam containers. I unpack them and find bags of dry ice. Some dry ice sublimation had occurred, but everything was still frozen! The meals with meat and the ice cream stayed frozen during their two-day trip from Minnesota to southern Indiana. So now we know. I’m not sure it’d be OK if it was July, but since it’s only in the 60s today (warm for February), I think it would’ve been OK to leave it on the porch until we got home from work.

Here is the Chocolatey Nougat Bar with Peanuts and Caramel.
3:38 p.m. Status update – I’m trying the Chocolatey Nougat Bar with Peanuts and Caramel today. It is very chewy, which is good because it is easier to savor the chocolate and nuts. It tastes like a Snickers bar, or at least it tastes like what I think a Snickers bar tastes like.

4:28 p.m. Status update – It’s time to eat the apple. The bar kept me happy for a bit though. I think, at this point, I can exercise without fear of fainting from lack of food so maybe that will be our week two challenge.

5:12 p.m. Status update – I got so busy that I forgot to eat the apple. A snack for the car ride home then!

6:05 p.m. Status update – I decided to try a frozen entree for dinner tonight. I nuked a turkey pepperoni pizza in the microwaved and supplemented the dinner with a very large salad. The crust on the pizza was DELICIOUS. I don't get much bread or other carbs, so it was the tastiest thing ever as far as I was concerned. The rest of the pizza tasted fine. It seemed similar to other frozen pizzas I have had from Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine  – only the crust was phenomenal.

We were definitely excited to see the frozen entrees arrive, but we were both disappointed by the frozen dinners. With each order, Nutrisystem sends you several items that the customer cannot change. We saw several dinner items and some desserts that neither of us would've ordered. Husband thinks this is a conspiracy to get rid of unpopular food items. Perhaps!

Although the arrival of the frozen food was exciting, the biggest moment of the day was the weigh-in. We were happy that our first week had been a success, and we hope to continue this losing pattern during the second week.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad the frozen food finally arrived. I was getting worried for you two. :) I can't believe that you described that pizza crust as "phenomenal." I will have to try some to believe it. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. Oh! And I'm interested to hear which of the "must order" meals you two thought were gross-sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the pizza crust shows how bad it is! I will address the "must order" meals in the next entry.
    Sigh!

    ReplyDelete