Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day Twenty-Eight: Fasting and Fish

Salmon sashimi -- Yum!
Today is Ash Wednesday, which means a day without eating meat and a day of fasting. I told Husband on the way to work this morning that if I fast anymore, I’ll be practically eating nothing. Unfortunately, the rules of Ash Wednesday don’t make me suffer as much as when I was a child and had to eat fish sticks or cooked fish. As an adult, I sometimes go a few days without eating meat. However, the fasting between meals is difficult for me, so that is how I will suffer and be challenged today.

When packing our lunches, I forgot about the no meat requirement so that means I have to go find healthy non-meat food. This means sushi because there is a sushi restaurant a block from my downtown office.

6:00 a.m. Status Update – I select one of the new breakfast cereals I've just received – bran flakes. The flakes are delicious, and it’s a good thing the cereal is already portioned out because I would’ve eaten half the box. This did not feel like much food.

10:05 a.m. Status Update – I’d like to eat something, but it’s not time yet.

11:14 a.m. Status Update – Starving and stomach is rumbling.

11:55 a.m. Status Update – Way past hungry. I've picked up my food, and I am going to eat.

12:15 p.m. Status Update – The sushi was excellent. I had salmon sashimi and a salmon roll with a seaweed salad. I also ate a yogurt, apple, and the Nutrisystem "dessert" bar since I cannot snack between meals. I hope I don't get hungry!

2:45 p.m. Status Update – Success! I’m not hungry yet.

6:00 p.m. Status Update – Husband is still working. I end up running errands after work, and I have to stop for dinner because I am shaking and faint. I get a 6-inch Subway Veggie Sub. It hit the spot! I can finish my errands now, and hopefully Husband finishes work soon.

By the time we got home tonight, Husband was about to fall over from starvation (we got home at 7:30 p.m.) I put together his dinner quickly, and before I know it I'm packing Thursday's lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment